Monday, January 10, 2011

Mercury Glass: The Perfect Rustic Chic Accessory & a DIY!

A little bit antique and a lotta bit chic, mercury glass accents are the perfect way to dress up your rustic chic wedding.

 via

In a variety of colors and styles, there is sure to be a mercury glass candle stick, votive, or vase to fit into your decor.

Utterly Chic



Naturally Chic


Seaside Rustic Chic



Provencal Rustic Chic (you know I have a slight bias on this one)




Traditionally Chic


& how cute would it be to have these adorable little votives as table numbers!



True vintage mercury glass can be quite pricy (as can some new reproductions - particularly when you need 100+ pieces for a wedding) but luckily there is a DIY to help solve that!  There are many how-to's floating around out there on the web, but I'm taking this tutorial from the guru herself, Martha Stewart.


Gather the following:  glass candleholders, vases, picture frames with glass, spray bottle with water, mirror paint 

Working with clean glass vessels spray interiors or frame glass lightly with water and then with mirror paint (the water will make the paint mottled). Turn vessels upside down and let dry completely, at least overnight. Repeat if too sheer. For flowers, arrange in a glass and place the glass inside the vase. (full details at here)

24 comments:

  1. These vases are going to be a massive trend in 2011! Great post Erin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Provencal Rustic Chic = Made me choke on my cup of tea with desire!

    Love the DIY. I'm bookmarking this and giving it a go at the weekend.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I so want to do this! Looks so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Mercury glass and that DIY is fabulous! What a great way to transform boring candle holders!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thanks so much for the tutorial! My friend is having a beach wedding this summer and I'll make sure to pass this idea along to her for some budget friendly DIY votive and flower holders! Beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There really is something special about mercury glass. The shimmer gives such a beautiful depth!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They add a bit of sparkle to the table as well! Great idea for a DIY centerpiece, looks easy too! Nice post! :) Hope you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i want some for my own house now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I LOVE this sweetie!!!! Such an amazing and fabulous DIY!!!! Awesome post my dear ;-). Hope you are well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah, those Provencal glasses are just gorgeous! What a beautiful little roundup!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are SO gorgeous. It adds so much elegance!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mercury glass is perfect for all seasons and it the perfect, simple touch to make events glamorous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I LOVE mercury glass - but I didn't know you could DIY it! Now I just need to find an excuse to do this for my apartment... Great post, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely round up - I think we'll see a lot more mercury glass in 2011

    ReplyDelete
  15. One of my favorites!!!! Especially that burlap wrapped bottle!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i loved this so much that i had to comment again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. such an awesome DIY - thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adore...these are one of my fave items to decorate an event with!!! Love these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My best friend is engaged and getting married in April and using little Mercury glass votives so I just sent her this article, she'll die! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore mercury glass!!! Great round up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i've never heard of mercury glass before, but i know i have seen it in antique stores. now i want to try making the DIY-version. very cool!

    ReplyDelete